Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Inconvenient Widow: Chapter 1, Part 11

“My friend is desperate. If his brother inherits, all will be lost. The estate has many farmers on it that would starve under his hand. If Lucy marries you, you can keep the estates intact. It will continue in your name even if you remarry. Could you find it in your heart to marry a man out of charity?”

“Charity, my lord? I should like to marry out of a more dedicated love. What you propose is mercenary. Furthermore, no other man would want to marry me afterward. You say that I should have no need to seek employment if I accept your offer, but I would sooner return to my sister’s home than marry a man for his title and lands, only that he would die the next day.”

“It is not mercenary. You would be doing it to preserve his estates and his good name. You would also be doing his brother Algernon a courtesy. He would be prevented from having the funds to sink his life into greater debauchery.”

“I highly doubt Mr. Grummel would see it that way.”

“Will you not at least meet Lucian to see if you could get on together?”

“If the man is dying, I do not see why it should matter if we get on together.”
“Then you’ll marry him?” Marcus’ eyes danced merrily.

“I did not say anything of the sort. As I recall, I have been presenting you solely with reasons why I should not do it.”

Stephen, enjoying the high emotion of the moment, threw himself shamelessly on his knees at her feet, hands clasped in supplication. “Please, Miss Radford, you said your employer did not arrive to fetch you this evening. Surely you are a believer in Providence?” Emily stared at the boy for a minute before nodding once. He continued dramatically, “What if the Lord has a hand in all this? You may be the answer to Grummel’s prayers.”



One of Emily’s eyebrows rose at the theatrical outburst. She was about to protest, but something made her stop and think about his words.


Want to read more? Purchase the full 284 page book on Amazon: (paperback is $7.59; Kindle version is $0.99). If you purchase the paperback, you also have the option to get the Kindle version free for a limited time.


You can also purchase the paperback directly from our website for $6.99. Sorry, e-book versions are only available from Amazon at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment