Friday, May 16, 2014

The Inconvenient Widow: Chapter 1, Part 16

At that moment, there was a faint rap on the door, and Marcus jumped to open it. Standing there with her head bowed and a candlestick in her hand stood Miss Radford.

 “She’s beautiful,” Lucian murmured.

“I told you she was not pockmarked,” Marcus smiled. “And she comes from fine, noble stock.”

“I am not some horse on the auction block, if you please, my lord,” Emily scoffed, raising her fiery eyes, and then offsetting the severity of her comment by biting her lower lip.

“Forgive me, miss,” Marcus bowed. “May I present Miss Emily Radford, governess, daughter of Sir Henry Radford. Miss Radford, this is my dearest friend, Lord Lucian Grummel, Baron of Westings. I am sure you both have much to discuss, and I wish you well,” Marcus bowed and took a step toward the door.

“I beg your pardon, Lord Berkshire,” Emily gasped. “What kind of a woman do you think I am to attend to a man in his room, alone, my lord?”

Marcus paused. “But, Miss Radford, the man is dying.”

“So you seek to entrap me into marrying him?”

Marcus had a difficult time looking into the rekindled fire in her eyes without laughing. “I shall leave the door open.” He could not resist baiting her.


Lucian sighed. “Marcus, you told me you brought me a lady and that I would need to mind my manners, but where are yours?”


Want to read more? Purchase the full 284 page book on Amazon: (paperback is $7.59; Kindle version is $0.99). If you purchase the paperback, you also have the option to get the Kindle version free for a limited time.


You can also purchase the paperback directly from our website for $6.99. Sorry, e-book versions are only available from Amazon at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment