Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Inconvenient Widow: Chapter 1, Part 7

“Please accept my humble apologies. Since the highwaymen have overrun the roads in this area, the people who live here have become extremely suspicious of any stranger. If I may introduce myself, I am the Honorable Stephen Duval, younger brother to the Earl of Berkshire, and currently heir presumptive. Will you permit me to join you?”

 “I am Miss Emily Radford, governess.” Emily looked around the room with a raised eyebrow. “I think it would be rather impolite of me to refuse to sit with you after just receiving your charity. I shall do nothing to dissuade your company. In fact, if there were another cup, I would offer to pour you some tea.”

“I don’t much care for the stuff.” Stephen grinned and sat in a chair on the other side of the table holding the tea. “I like you too much for you to be a stuffy old governess. Where did you come from, if I may be so bold as to ask?”

“London.” Emily smiled and felt as if she were conversing with one of her pupils. “I was employed by the Pickerings down Stockbridge way, and supposed to meet with them here, but I apparently missed them. I don’t suppose you know of a way to arrive at Stockbridge this evening?”

“Not a safe one.” Stephen ran his fingers through his hair. “Maybe you mistook the day?”

Emily shook her head sorrowfully. “There is perhaps the chance they changed their minds about me.”

“See. I told you that you were not stuffy enough. It just goes to show that you weren’t meant to be a governess.” Stephen grinned, leaned back in his chair, and crossed his arms.

“But I must make an honest living somehow…” Emily began to protest.

Want to read more? Purchase the full 284 page book on Amazon: (paperback is $7.59; Kindle version is $0.99). If you purchase the paperback, you also have the option to get the Kindle version free for a limited time.


You can also purchase the paperback directly from our website for $6.99. Sorry, e-book versions are only available from Amazon at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment