Monday, May 5, 2014

The Inconvenient Widow: Chapter 1, Part 5

Emily blanched. “Your wife may certainly take as long as she needs to attend to the gentleman.”

With that, Emily retreated further into the common room. The fire was still burning, but the flames cast long shadows. Two long tables with benches ran the length of the room, and chairs were set in the corners. She made her way back to the cushioned rocking chair near the fire where she had dozed earlier. Just as her eyes began to droop a second time from the exhaustion of the past day, the door to the inn burst open once more.

“Where is he? Where is my brother?” She could not help but overhear the young man’s raised voice as it cracked in distress.

“Now, now, Master Duval,” the innkeeper soothed. “Don’t ye go getting yourself all riled. Lord Berkshire be up there now with the doctor doing all he can for Lord Westings. There be nothing for ye to do except get yourself in the way. Me Mol’s in the kitchen fixing some tea. I think it’d be best if ye had a seat in the common room while I go see if I can find ye a sandwich or some other light sup. Then I’ll swing upstairs and get ye some news before I bring it to ye, sir.”


“Fine, Bailey,” the man huffed. “I’m warning you now, though, I want to be notified if Marcus needs me for anything. I don’t want him blamed for Grummel’s death just because he was summoned here with the doctor.”

Want to read more? Purchase the full 284 page book on Amazon: (paperback is $7.59; Kindle version is $0.99). If you purchase the paperback, you also have the option to get the Kindle version free for a limited time.


You can also purchase the paperback directly from our website for $6.99. Sorry, e-book versions are only available from Amazon at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment