Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Inconvenient Widow: Chapter 1, Part 15

Marcus quietly entered the dimly lit room where his friend tossed and moaned on the small bed. There was little furniture beyond the giant, rough-hewn armoire, but two chairs had been placed next to the bed. Marcus shuddered as he remembered how he had held his friend while the doctor cleaned the stomach wound. Quickly scanning the corner, he was relieved to find that Mol must have taken the bloody rags away. He said a quick prayer thanking the Lord that Miss Radford would not have to see those.

“Lucy, I have some good news,” Marcus said gently, sitting in one of the chairs and firmly grasping his dying friend’s hand. “There is a woman I would like you to meet.”

Lucian stopped thrashing, tried to sit, and then collapsed in a moan before asking, “You found someone, then? Oh, Marcus, I am so relieved. Where is she? Have you sent for the priest and the solicitor?”

“No, but I shall when they are needed. I must ask that you remain in your best form when I introduce you. She is a real lady. Although she has not yet agreed to the scheme, I am sure she is on the precipice of a decision in your favor. I need you to show her your charm, not your impatience.”

“A real lady? How am I to get a lady to marry me like this?” Lucian entered into a fit of coughing. Marcus helped him to drink a sip of water and then he was able to continue. “I could not get Penelope to marry me whole although she had known my charms for years. How shall I convince a stranger to marry me on my deathbed?” Lucian groaned.

“She seems to have a good heart.”

“Is she pockmarked?”

“No. She is Sir Henry Radford’s daughter.”

Lucian pursed his lips. “So, she’s mercenary then?”

“I don’t think so. But, I believe she does have a younger sister and a mother to worry about. Think positive! That could improve your suit.”

“I suppose one in my circumstances cannot be particular. When can I meet her?”

Want to read more? Purchase the full 284 page book on Amazon: (paperback is $7.59; Kindle version is $0.99). If you purchase the paperback, you also have the option to get the Kindle version free for a limited time.


You can also purchase the paperback directly from our website for $6.99. Sorry, e-book versions are only available from Amazon at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment