Friday, May 2, 2014

The Inconvenient Widow: Chapter 1, Part 2


 “He be upstairs, m’ lord. First door on the right.” Turning to the doctor, the innkeeper added, “Me Mol’s got him calmed, but she hasn’t been able to stop the bleeding, sir.”

“Is he awake?” the doctor inquired.

“Aye, that he is and angry ‘bout his quandary. He proposed to me daughter even.”

The two men rushed up the stairs, and the innkeeper peered at Emily with raised brows.

“Was there somethin’ you be needing, Miss?” he asked pointedly.

Emily blushed. “Pardon me, but I must have dozed. Has there been no message yet for Miss Emily Radford from Mrs. Pickering?”

“No, Miss, I told ye earlier that the Pickerings live down Stockbridge way,” the round, middle aged man with cherry cheeks replied. “Don’t think they get up ‘ere much, and I don’t ‘spect them tonight neither. In fact, I haven’t seen either o’ ‘em in years since they had that young ‘un.”

“But they were to send me a carriage. I must get to their home this evening. I’m sorry, sir, but is there any way I could hire a barouche to take me there still?”


“Well, I only got one wagon, an’ I don’t like to send me lads out after dark, ya see,” the man paused and scratched his chin. “But I might have been persuaded to do a favor for ye, for a goodly fee of course, iffn’ this emergency hadn’t arisen. I got to keep the wagon on hand in case…”

Want to read more? Purchase the full 284 page book on Amazon: (paperback is $7.59; Kindle version is $0.99). If you purchase the paperback, you also have the option to get the Kindle version free for a limited time.

You can also purchase the paperback directly from our website for $6.99. Sorry, e-book versions are only available from Amazon at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment