Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Inconvenient Widow: Chapter 1, Part 4

 “Could I perhaps get some tea before I make my decision?” She asked after finishing her silent request and opening her eyes.

“I don’t know what exactly ‘tis that ye have to decide. I told ye I be not sending the wagon out again. The next stage is in the mornin’. An’ there’s not another inn within walking space even iffn’ you wanted to take your life in your hands and walk there, so here is where you’ll stay in my mind. I have naught against serving a lady tea before she retires, but it seems ye could at least tell me that ye are stayin’ afore ya do,” the innkeeper frowned.

“They said they would meet me here today. I just would like to see if they come before I retire,” Emily did her best to smile.

The innkeeper frowned perplexedly. “It’ll be a little wait for tea ‘til they get the man above stairs fixed up. When that’s done, me Mol will return to the kitchen and fetch it for ye.”

“What happened to the man upstairs, if I may ask?” Emily blushed. She realized a woman of her age and station should be able to restrain her curiosity better, but it was late, and the uncertainty about her future led her to seek something else on which to focus her mind.

“He was shot by highwaymen – not that ‘tis any of your business. Still, it might be a lesson to ye about traveling in the night ‘round here.”

Want to read more? Purchase the full 284 page book on Amazon: (paperback is $7.59; Kindle version is $0.99). If you purchase the paperback, you also have the option to get the Kindle version free for a limited time.


You can also purchase the paperback directly from our website for $6.99. Sorry, e-book versions are only available from Amazon at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment